Web Engineering is a specialist work-related programme of study that covers the key knowledge, understanding and practical skills required in the web development and engineering sectors. The qualification prepares learners for employment in the sectors and is suitable for those who have already decided that they wish to enter this area of work. Learners with interest in web technology, software troubleshooting, analytics, internetworking and website administration will find this course particularly rewarding.
Key Course Structure:
- What is the course duration?
6 – 12 months
- What are the days and times of the course?
Evenings only – times to be agreed on enrolment, or
Distance Learning only – times to be agreed on enrolment
- Open Curriculum
Open Curriculum allows access to our course materials for missed presentations and tutorials, as well as assignment submission, feedback facilities, and online discussions between students and tutors using discussion seminars, etc.
- What qualifications will I get?
– Diploma in Web Engineering, or
– Higher Diploma in Web Engineering.
- Which Units will I be learning?
The course is modular and consists of a selection and mixture of units. 8 units (120 Credits) for the diploma pathway and 16 units (240 Credits) for the higher diploma pathway.
A description of the outcomes that will be completed to demonstrate competence and skills on the course…
all four units (65 credits for Higher Diploma) or (45 credits for Diploma) must be taken:
Unit 1 Computer Platforms – Credits 15
Unit 2 IT Fundamentals – Credits 15
Unit 9 Systems Analysis and Design – Credits 15
Unit 46 Individual Project & Dissertation – Credits 20
choose units with a minimum total credit value of 75 credits for Diploma or 175 credits for Higher Diploma:
Unit 5 Research Techniques – Credits 15
Unit 39 Introduction to Internet – Credits 15
Unit 63 Web Technologies – Credits 15
Unit 8 Project Management – Credits 15
Unit 41 User Support Techniques – Credits 15
Unit 65 Usability and Accessibility – Credits 15
Unit 43 Planning and Maintaining a Network Infrastructure – Credits 15
Unit 20 Event Driven Programming Solutions – Credits 15
Unit 13 Functional Programming – Credits 15
Unit 67 Server-side Web Tools (PHP/MySQL/Web Server) – Credits 15
Unit 61 Static Web Tools (XHMTL/CSS) – Credits 15
Unit 62 Web Design & Testing – Credits 15
Unit 64 e-commerce Systems – Credits 15
Unit 21 Network Security – Credits 15
Unit 47 Professional Development – Credit 15
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. You will normally need to have at least one of the following:
• A BTEC National Certificate or Diploma in an appropriate area
• A WASC/NECO in an appropriate academic area including Maths and English at grades C
• A GCE A Level profile which demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or an adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at level A-C
• Other related Level 3 qualifications / related work experience
• Mature students and students with other qualifications
* Applicants whose first language is not English, must satisfy the College of their English Language proficiency.
There are two parts to the assessment for these qualifications:
1. Assignments of a substantial level that reflects substantially the learning outcomes of each Unit and records evidence of skills for employment as well as academic achievements
2. Project Report of between 2500 and 5000 which must evidence application of learning from the programme syllabus and achievement of the overall Award’s learning outcomes
Upon successful completion of the course, candidates are awarded appropriate Diploma/Higher Diploma and may progress by direct-entry or to year 2 of a University degree course. Candidates may equally exit to employment and do well vocationally.
- All students are required to pay the following Distance Learning fee:
• Higher Diploma N250,000.00 for 1 year
• Diploma N150,000.00 for 6 months
For further enquiries on any of the courses, please make contact on:
Tel: +44(0)87856 122 588; +234(0)706 252 4962
“I am very grateful for the friendly atmosphere and knowledge I received in Dr Patrick’s lessons – he’s my favourite lecturer.”
“I owe it to Patrick to set me on a career path and get me where I am today. Without Patrick’s influence, who knows where I might have been today.”